Durham Time Machine — September 5, 1926 ↔ September 5, 2026
Sunday, September 5, 1926 did not leave us an accessible local newspaper issue to read online. The surviving Oshawa Daily Reformer run is behind an archive access screen that this newsroom will not bypass, and no September 5 issue appears in the accessible Oshawa Public Libraries collection on Internet Archive. Because September 5 fell on a Sunday, it is also possible that no daily edition was published that day.
This article is therefore a sourced reconstruction, not a report of that Sunday’s sermons, attendance or special events. Its evidence comes chiefly from the 1926 City of Oshawa Directory, published May 1, 1926 and preserved by Oshawa Public Libraries. The directory can establish which congregations, clergy and addresses were listed during the year. It cannot prove what happened inside any church on September 5.
What it does reveal is a city whose Sunday geography was remarkably dense. Anglican, Baptist, Presbyterian, United, Roman Catholic, Ukrainian, Greek Catholic, Christian Science, Salvation Army and independent Christian congregations all appeared in the civic listings.
A Sunday map centred on downtown
The directory placed St. George’s Anglican Church at Centre and Bagot streets and named Canon Charles R. dePencier as rector. The City of Oshawa’s heritage research identifies the present St. George’s Memorial Anglican Church at 51 Centre Street South as a 1922 building designed by architect Eden Smith. That makes the church one of the clearest surviving physical links to the Oshawa a resident would have known in 1926.
Only a short walk away, Emmanuel Baptist Church was listed at 79 King Street East, with the Rev. John Galt as pastor. Knox Church appeared under the Presbyterian heading, led by the Rev. A. C. Reeves. The directory did not print a street address beside Knox in this civic list, so none is inferred here.
These entries show how much of organized religious life was concentrated around King, Simcoe, Centre and Bagot streets. For residents travelling on foot or by streetcar, worship, shopping, public offices and social organizations occupied the same compact urban core.
The United Church was still new
Four congregations were grouped under the United Church of Canada: King Street United at 129 King Street East; Simcoe Street United at Simcoe Street South and Bagot; Albert Street United at 348 Albert Street; and St. Andrew’s United at Simcoe Street South and Bruce Street. The directory named the Revs. C. W. DeMille, H. S. Dougall, R. A. Whattam and F. J. Maxwell respectively.
That label was new. The United Church of Canada says it was inaugurated in Toronto on June 10, 1925, when the Methodist Church, Canada, the Congregational Union of Canada and about 70 per cent of the Presbyterian Church in Canada entered the union, along with the General Council of Union Churches. By September 1926, barely fifteen months later, Oshawa’s directory already presented “United Church of Canada” as an ordinary part of the city’s institutional map.
The list captures a transition in progress. It does not explain how individual Oshawa congregations debated or experienced church union, and we should not invent that story. It does show how quickly a major national reorganization became visible locally—in names, appointments and the way a city directory categorized familiar places.
Catholic and immigrant congregations
The directory listed St. Gregory’s Roman Catholic Church at 214 Simcoe Street North, with the Rev. P. J. Bench as pastor. It also recorded a Church of the Epiphany, identified as Greek Catholic, at 590 Albert Street; a Ukrainian church on Bloor Street East; and a Ukrainian mission whose deaconess was listed as Miss Keith.
Those brief lines matter. Oshawa’s 1926 directory promoted the city primarily as an industrial centre, but its church listings reveal communities that cannot be understood only through factory totals and payroll figures. Immigrant religious institutions were part of the public record, even when the directory supplied less detail about them than it did for longer-established congregations.
The entry does not tell us congregation sizes, languages used in worship, service times or parishioners’ personal histories. Any claim about those details would require parish records, newspapers or other primary sources. The responsible conclusion is narrower: these congregations and missions were listed as part of Oshawa’s institutional life in 1926.
A broader network of worship and service
The same page listed the Athol Street Gospel Tabernacle, with W. H. Dynes as pastor; the Christian Church at 22 Centre Street, with the Rev. W. P. Fletcher; the First Church of Christ, Scientist at 64 Colborne Street East; and the Salvation Army at 133 Simcoe Street South.
Together, the entries show a varied religious landscape rather than a single dominant Sunday routine. They also hint at overlap between worship and community service. Immediately after the church list, the directory’s “Miscellaneous Institutes” section recorded a Tuesday baby clinic at the Albert Street United Church school and a home for missionaries’ children on King Street East. Those were weekday listings, not September 5 events, but their placement illustrates how congregational buildings served civic and social purposes beyond Sunday worship.
What a resident might have seen—and what we cannot know
On September 5, 1926, an Oshawa resident could have recognized church buildings and meeting places along several principal streets. Bells, foot traffic and streetcars may be easy to imagine, but imagination is not evidence. Without an exact-date newspaper, bulletin or parish register, we cannot confirm service schedules, sermon subjects, music, attendance, weddings, funerals or special collections for that day.
The directory’s value is different. It fixes names and addresses in a particular year. It shows the new United Church label already in use. It documents Catholic, Protestant, Ukrainian and Greek Catholic institutions in the same civic reference work. Through St. George’s, it also points to a surviving building that still helps people read the 1926 street grid today.
That is enough for a meaningful archive snapshot—as long as the limits are stated plainly.
Sources and further reading
- 1926 City of Oshawa Directory, Henry Vernon & Son, published May 1, 1926; church listings on printed page 257. Digitized by Oshawa Public Libraries and marked Public Domain.
- Oshawa Public Libraries: Oshawa directories
- City of Oshawa heritage research report: St. George’s Memorial Anglican Church
- United Church of Canada: History of The United Church of Canada
- Oshawa Public Libraries: Local History & Genealogy
Source note: This is original editorial work and a sourced reconstruction of Oshawa’s religious landscape for September 5, 1926. The directory was published May 1 and does not establish that any particular event occurred September 5. No newspaper scan, directory page, photograph, advertisement, source headline or protected wording has been reproduced. Names and addresses were checked against the legible archive page; uncertain OCR was not used as fact.























